Monday, 12 December 2016

Tips for school visits by SKYPE



I was lucky enough to do a few school visits by SKYPE a few weeks ago. Originally, I was scheduled to visit Northern Ontario in person, but due to a sad loss in the family, I couldn't make it.

But SKYPE saved the day, and I met with both schools, not in person maybe, but via the next best thing. That's me on the left, a disembodied head floating around on the screen, but we managed to have a lot of fun.

I set up a simple stage, I have props, puppets, hats, pictures and I do a short presentation, followed by a short reading, then kids ask questions. It all takes about 35-45 minutes (or more if we want).

Check out this blog post from a few years ago:
 11 TIPS for a Skype Author Visit.


SKYPE sound stage set up in my house, the squid hat was a hit.
I'd like to do more SKYPE visits with schools this winter, so please contact me if you're interested. I'm also doing SKYPE visits through the Forest of Reading in 2017, since my book, Myles and the Monster Outside, is a Silver Birch Express nominee. It's also a Hackmatack nominee this year, thank you to both nominating committees.

Contact me to find out more about a SKYPE or web visit now.





No comments: