Thursday, 15 December 2016

Villains, writing dialogue, naming characters and more on Open Book


"Philippa Dowding's wildly creative, wonderfully strange stories are the kind of books that turn young readers into book lovers. With pages full of lovable misfits and regular kids caught up in otherworldly happenings, a new Philippa Dowding book is a cause for celebration." --OpenBook, Dec 15/2017


Thank you, Open Book!

Today I'm the guest blogger on the Open Book website, to celebrate my latest book, Everton Miles is Stranger than Me (sequel to The Strange Gift of Gwendolyn Golden, shortlisted for the Red Maple Award in 2015). Together, the two books are called The Night Flyer's Handbook.

Read my complete In Character Interview with them. I answer 5 questions about my main characters in the new book, and we talk about how I choose names (and which character I borrowed from Neil Young), how I write dialogue, tips for creating memorable villains and more.

For the full Interview, click HERE. Thank you for the chance to answer these fun questions, Open Book. Here's an excerpt:

OB:

Some writers feel characters take on a "life of their own" during the writing process. Do you agree with this, or is a writer always in control?

PD:

I think most writers will tell you that their favourite characters came to them in a flash of inspiration, or madness, then took on a life of their own during the writing of their story. That’s definitely how it is with me. I usually hear a character’s voice loud and clear right from the start, then let them take me wherever they want to go. 

It’s the best part of being a writer, I think, following a character deeper and deeper into their story.
MORE BLOG POSTS ABOUT Everton Miles is Stranger than Me:
Kirkus Review "Charming sequel.... funny, magical and entertaining"

No comments: