Sunday, 12 March 2017

Wonderful art from Toronto school kids, thank you!

Toronto school kids draw alternate covers for Myles and the Monster Outside.
The Author at Bloor-Gladstone Library

Cover art by
Shawna Daigle
I'm so lucky.  Last week I was invited to
Bloor-Gladstone library in Toronto, to speak to school kids in grades 3-5. Demand was high, and we ran the presentation twice, to a total of 5 schools, about 8 classes and over 200+ kids.

I love talking to children about books, being a writer, and reading to them, answering their questions. But I'm also always touched at the little things they do, the sweet extras they bring with them for me. One class did a class set of alternate covers for my Silver Birch Express title, Myles and the Monster Outside.

They are so great, and I was so touched. Each cover shows a lot of thought, and talent, and also tells me a lot about the child who drew it: the thinkers, the artists, the optimists, they're all there.

So thank you so much to Bloor-Gladstone library, the librarians and teachers who bring books to life for our youngest readers. Thanks also, once again, to the Ontario Library Association for nominating Myles and the Monster Outside for the Silver Birch Express award this year!

If you'd like me to visit your school or library, I still have booking space this spring. Here's how to contact me.

Here's a link with more information about my presentations: 
Philippa Dowding Presentations


No comments: