Thursday, 2 March 2017

ARC letter for Myles and the Monster Outside


My sixth book, Myles and the Monster Outside, book 2 in the Weird Stories Gone Wrong series, has been nominated for two awards:

The Hackmatack Children's Choice Award
The Silver Birch Express Award

Thank you so much to the nominating committees and to the librarians, teachers and readers who read, vote for and promote Canadian authors!

A few readers have recently asked me what gave me the idea for Myles and the Monster Outside?

Here's the letter that accompanied the advanced reader's copy, with the answer:

"Dear Middle-Grade Horror Lover,

Book 1, Jake and the Giant Hand
When I was a child, my family and I travelled on long car trips to far-flung places like Manitoulin Island, Cape Cod, and South Carolina.

In my early twenties, I drove across Canada in an ancient Vega that barely made it home. A long car trip requires a certain fortitude, an ability to remain focused despite the inevitable boredom, and the knowledge that anything could be around the next corner.

My early travels became the inspiration for Myles and the Monster Outside. I wanted to examine the crucible of a tiresome journey from the perspective of a young boy who is moving to a new home for the first time. I also wanted to create a middle-grade character who is prone to anxiety and who has a vivid imagination that is both his undoing and his strength.

Who hasn't been that child in the back seat, tortured by the boredom of a long drive, convinced they can see something strange outside the window?

Book 3, Carter and the Curious Maze
I know I was!

As the journey unfolds, Myles must confront fears about his new home, a monster, a rainy night, and a ghostly old man and his dog. At first his overabundance of imagination is a curse, but as the story unfolds, he comes to realize that the ability to see what no one else can see may just give him the advantage.

At its heart, Myles and the Monster Outside is a paranormal road-trip adventure, a horror story about the monsters we create outside ourselves, and how we cope with them.

I hope you enjoy the journey!"

For more about Myles and the Monster Outside:

Goodreads Reviews
All "Myles" posts on this blog
YouTube Book Trailer, featuring illustration by Shawna Daigle



No comments: