Saturday, 4 February 2017

OLA SuperConference 2017 was so fun!

The author (left) and illustrator Shawna Daigle
Thanks to Diane Young for the photo


Well, it's all over for another year, but the Ontario Library Association SuperConference was so fun, once again!

As a Forest of Reading nominee, I was pretty busy. Thank you to OLA for nominating my book, Myles and the the Monster Outside for a Silver Birch Express Award. I'm so honoured.



My wonderful illustrator, Shawna Daigle, and I went to the Forest of Reading Breakfast, where I talked to (in no particular order): Teresa Toten, Lena Coakley, Jess Keating, Joel Sutherland, Robin Stevenson, Kevin Sands, Richard Scrimger, Karen Bass, and there must be more people I've forgotten (sorry). It was a kids' CanLit who's who, for sure.


Then Shawna and I did a signing at the Dundurn booth, where I signed copies of my newest book, Everton Miles is Stranger than Me, and Shawna signed our newest book in the Weird Stories Gone Wrong series, Carter and the Curious Maze. We met so many great librarians, and handed out 50 books in no time.

Here's a brief video of our signing.

Me reading from Myles on CANSCAIP stage
Thank you to Clifton Library for the pic
Then, I did a 5 minute talk at the CANSCAIP stage, talking about Myles and the Monster Outside. I was at the end, but looked up to see Ken Oppel, Richard Scrimger, Lena Coakley, and Joel Sutherland all sitting, smiling, listening to me read. It was really fun. (And holy cow, did I just say that Ken Oppel was listening to me read?!)

We met other authors and illustrators for lunch, we wandered the show, we talked about the next two books we're going to do together (YAY!), and then at the end of the day, I sat with friends Frieda Wishinsky, Natalie Hyde and Karen Bass, and we chatted about the industry, writing, the writer's life. A fascinating chat, with chamomile tea.

Thank you to all the librarians, readers, publishers and everyone at OLA for making this year such a great experience. It's all worth it. Until next year, then.


















No comments: