Friday, 18 November 2016

Myles and the Monster Outside KIRKUS REVIEW

Coming Sept. 2015, Dundurn Press

UPDATE: Myles and the Monster Outside has been nominated for an OLA Silver Birch Express Award 2017 by the Ontario Library Association, thank you! I thought I would re-post this great Kirkus Review (which also happens to be my all-time #1 post). Enjoy. 

"Dowding’s second Weird Stories Gone Wrong is a relatively realistic, carefully written Goosebumps ... this is a gentle but still shivery spook tale.
Readers who have made a big move will identify with Myles and his fears made manifest. (Horror. 7-10)"
--Kirkus Reviews, July/2015
I'm quite thrilled with this review from Kirkus for my 2nd book in the Weird Stories Gone Wrong series, thank you! Their reviews are no-nonsense and their tagline is: "The World's Toughest Reviews on the World's Top Selling Books."
1 of 6 illustrations from Shawna Daigle
I particularly appreciate the "Goosebumps" mention, my children read R.L Stine until the books fell apart, I'm very honoured to be compared to that classic middle-grade horror franchise.

This story is a truly creepy paranormal road-trip told through the eyes of an anxious 12-year old boy. We all have monsters, right? Who hasn't been that child in the back seat on a long car drive, who starts to see things out the window? I know I definitely was. 
Myles and the Monster Outside is forthcoming from Dundurn Press, Sept 19, 2015, and is accompanied by 6 fantastically creepy illustrations by Shawna Daigle. Here is the book trailer which showcases her art (and that's me playing the spooky guitar). 
Booklist Review 
For more reviews, check Goodreads. 
Here is the complete Kirkus Review.
Read my author letter which accompanies the ARC of Myles and Monster Outside.
To request a Media Copy please contact Dundurn Press 
Read a Q&A blog post about the book on the Dundurn Blog Here


No comments: