Friday, 25 April 2014

The Near North Festival of Trees tour is coming!

Horses run toward the fire on the night of April 19, 1904 in Toronto.
This is an archival image I'm using in a powerpoint presentation to kids in North Bay and Parry Sound next week. I'm going on tour, talking about The Gargoyle at the Gates, which has been nominated by the Ontario Library Association for the Forest of Reading Award (Silver Birch Express) -- thank you OLA! This image is one I found while researching the Great Toronto Fire of 1904, which lead me to thinking about how we should really honour the horses heroic efforts during that terrible night. When I couldn't find any record of anything in Toronto that recognized how brave the horses were, to run toward the fire instead of away from it, I decided to create fictional Gatepost Park in their honour. That's what fellow author Rebecca Upjohn and I will be talking about: research in fiction and non-fiction, and how we create spaces, real and imagined.
I'm really excited to be on tour with 14 other great authors, we'll be talking to 1000 kids at Nipissing University, which I've never seen before, and another 900 children in Parry Sound. Hope the weather is good! Here's more information about the tour.

No comments: