Monday, 17 October 2011

OLA Silver Birch nomination, and why the universe is laughing at me!

The universe is a prankster, I think we all know that. Today, I can only laugh and shake my head along with the crazy pranking universe, which is laughing quietly at me.

On October 17, 2011 my second book, The Gargoyle Overhead, was nominated for the Silver Birch Express award. It's a large award, a great honour, from the Ontario Library Association. The book is listed along with 9 other books selected by the OLA committee, and many thousands of Ontario school-children between the ages of 9-12 will read it over the coming months, and vote on their favourite book from the list next spring, 2012.

Here's the link to the nominee page:
Silver Birch Express 2012, Nominees

Some great books on there, I'm in fantastic company for sure. My book is number four on the alphabetical list. Now, cast your eye to book three on the list ... The Canadian Railroad Trilogy, by a certain Gordon Lightfoot. Yes, the musician who wrote "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" and "Early Morning Rain" and "If you could read my mind love" and well, hundreds of other songs. I have always loved Gordon Lightfoot, and I'm so awestruck and honoured to have my book listed along with his. I've listened to his music my entire life, and have learned to play many of his songs on my guitar.

Here's the hilarity.

I have recently created my first guitar CD. It's a collection of my own guitar songs, all instrumental. It is called (and I'm not kidding), This is NOT Gordon Lightfoot. As I say above, I love GL. It's just my picking style can sound a little like his, and when listening to me play people will often ask if my music is his. The title song of the CD is called, well, This is NOT Gordon Lightfoot.

Here it is: This is NOT Gordon Lightfoot

Give a listen. I'm giggling. Are you? And what if I spend time in his company, getting to know him at the awards ceremony at Harbourfront next spring (where presumably we'll stand side by side on the stage) ... do I take a copy of the CD for him, just in case? Or do I ... just shake my head and laugh?!

PD/OCT 17/2011

No comments: